Common we are in 2009! Use an IDE!!

I have seen a number of people using a naming convention of prefixing letter 'I' to names of any interfaces in Java like IHuman, IMonster. This was a very famous and essential practice about a couple of decades ago (I believe. Not that I am soo old!) I remember reading about prefixes like "lpstr" indicating that it is a "Long Pointer to the String". But all this was followed in C and C++. It was important at that time since the languages were not type safe and there were no mature IDE's. It would be easier to recognize that this pointer is to this this type of variable etc. which would prevent a lot of silly mistakes too. Seems like a few people with inclination towards Microsoft standards in .Net still like it and recommend it.

Personally I think we are in year 2009, I use IDE (Eclipse) for development and I have never needed to really see 'I' prefixed to an interface. It adds very less value. Only thing you can accidently end up doing is say do new Interface(); but your IDE will complain the very next moment anyway. I can always see what methods I can call by simply typing '.' In case I have any doubts. I generally use F4 to see hierarchy which will clearly show me that it is an Interface by coloring it purlple or I would directly F3 to get into code to see whats there.

People who still follow this beautiful practice, I am sorry but I absolutely hate it! for others, keep your Alt + Shift + R ready ;)

0 comments :